Monday, March 10, 2014

Thai Red Curry

Dr. Sweetpea and I looooove Thai Red Curry. I've always been hesitant to make it at home because I always thought it would be super challenging to make; however, when I found a recipe in America's Test Kitchen, I knew I had to try it at home. I'm super glad I did because it's absolutely simple to make and tastes AMAZING! Definitely a keeper in our recipe collection.


Thai Red Beef Curry
(Source: America's Test Kitchen)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste (we used A LOT more since we love spicy curry)
2 (14 oz) cans coconut milk 
2 - 3 teaspoons fish sauce
4 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed and sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 pound snap peas, strings removed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt

Heat the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in the coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar and shimmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook until the pieces separate and turn firm, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and peas and cook until the peas are crisp and tender, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the basil and lime juice. Season with salt to taste. 


1 comment:

  1. We loved it too! I've made it twice now. The only thing is, I think that next time I will brown the meat. ATK explains that you don't need to because of the bold sauce, but my husband and I thought that the dish could be more improved if the meat is browned, like they do in the other dishes from this chapter. But yes, this is a wonderful dish!!! I use Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste.

    ReplyDelete