Friday, March 21, 2014

Korean Bulgogi

If I had to pick my top two favorite Korean dishes, they would definitely be Bulgogi and Kalbi. Unfortunately, it's too cold to be grilling outside, so I decided to make my mom's recipe for Bulgogi this week. I ate this often while growing up and have cravings for this often after moving to Minnesota. I followed my mom's recipe exactly as written and this turned out AMAZING! I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I do :o)


Korean Bulgogi
(Source: My Mom)

1 1/2 - 1 3/4 pounds bulgogi meat (or thinly sliced ribeye steak)
1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped finely
2- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 green onion, sliced finely
2 – 3 tablespoons onion, chopped finely
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon sesame seed
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 of a large Korean pear, grated (optional)

Remove excess fat from the bulgogi meat. Sprinkle sugar in-between the thin slices of meat. Place in a large bowl and let it chill in refrigerator for 6 hours or over night. Drain the excess liquid from the bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, green onion, onion, soy sauce, corn syrup, mirin, sesame seed, sesame oil, black pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Pour this mixture over the meat and mix everything together with hands. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. When ready to eat, cook in skillet until brown and cooked through. Serve with rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment