Sunday, March 16, 2014

Amazing Corn Muffins

We had a huge thing of buttermilk left in the fridge after making Irish Soda bread earlier this month. I was torn between making chocolate cupcakes or corn muffins with the leftover buttermilk. I was browsing recipes earlier last week when I came across a corn muffin recipe that had amazing reviews. I had all the ingredients at home and decided to give it a try. I admit I was absolutely blown away by the final results. These muffins were super moist and had the perfect gritty texture from the corn meal. The only downfall is the recipe yields 12 muffins...if you want 24 you have to double the recipe. These are soooo much better with some butter and honey drizzled on top!


Corn Muffins
(Source: The Colonnade)

1 1/2 cups white cornmeal (I used yellow cornmeal)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable, soy or canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the water, oil, buttermilk and eggs. Beat vigorously for 45 seconds, or until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour into greased muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment