Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chicken Salad with Tart Green Apple and Currants

Several posts ago I did a chicken salad recipe with grapes which was ridiculously delicious. This time around I made a chicken salad with Granny Smith Apples and dried currants. If I was told to compare the two and decide which one is the best then I think I'd have a tie! The Sonoma Chicken Salad Sandwich draws it's sweetness from the honey and grapes. The Green Apple Chicken Salad Sandwich has a tartness from the Granny Smith apples and draws hints of sweetness from the dried currants.  This one is slightly more tangy than my first one but equally delicious. I think it tastes eerily similar to the D.C. Chicken Salad served at Corner Bakery (try it and let me know!). I also recommend making this up to 1 day in advance prior to eating this because the flavored blends together marvelously over time.


Green Apple Chicken Salad 
(Source: Newspaper but I can't remember which one)

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced (or rotisserie chicken meat shredded)
2 small celery stalks, cut into small dice
1/2 red onion, cut into very small dice
1/2 green apple, cored and cut into medium dice
1/3 cup currants (raisins may be substituted)
Salt and pepper, if desired

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard to form a dressing.  To the bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, apple and currants. Toss everything together, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Chill before serving. This makes about 1 quart chicken salad.



1 comment:

  1. I had leftover grocery store rotisserie chicken, all the fruit, everything except the cider vinegar -- turned out wonderfully even with substituting red wine vinegar. Perfect summer recipe when it's too hot to cook and the best packed work lunch I can think of

    ReplyDelete