Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blueberry White Chocolate Scone

I've been wanting to eat a ton of blueberries lately...blueberry bread, blueberry shake, blueberry cookies, blueberry ice cream, blueberry muffin, etc.

So is it surprising that I made white chocolate blueberry scones?!? Absolutely not! I originally wanted to make blueberry cookies buuuuut as I was strolling around the grocery store I came across scones. So I completely dropped the cookie idea and bought ingredients to make blueberry scones.

I didn't really like scones when I was younger because I felt like they are hard as bricks (ie: Starbucks scones). As I got older I started to eat scones from a variety of bakeries, breakfast places, cafes, and slowly grew to really enjoy scones. The white chocolate blueberry scone is light, slightly sweet, and tart. Basically, the perfect scone to enjoy on a beautiful spring morning :o)


Blueberry White Chocolate Scone 
(Source: Kraft Online)

3 cups flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. milk, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 cup blueberries
1 (6 oz) package of white chocolate, chopped

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3/4 cup of the milk, the egg and lemon peel; stir just until mixture forms dough. Stir in blueberries and chocolate chunks. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, pat each half into a round, 9 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Place wedges on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 2 Tbsp. milk; sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar. Bake 25 min. or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing scones -- large, filling, full of blueberries, crumbly and delicious, great with just a pat of butter, rewarmed in the morning

    ReplyDelete