Monday, March 26, 2012

Creamy Tomato Pasta :o)

I love pasta, especially pasta with tomatoes, cream and sausage. I came across a recipe by Tyler Florence which had all three of my favorite ingredients in a pasta dish. It is ridiculously delicious and it is very riiiiich. I'm sure it's mostly because of the sausage and the sheer amount of cream that goes in the recipe.

If you're looking for a meal that fills you up but tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. This recipe is it :o)



Spicy Italian Sausage, Cream, and Peas Pasta 

4 links spicy Italian sausage*
1 pound dried penne
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves  (I used about 2 teaspoons of dried basil leaves)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups peas, blanched (I was so hungry, I forgot to add the peas...oops!) 
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Red Pepper Flakes**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sausages in a roasting pan and roast in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden and just cooked. Cut sausages at an angle into bite-size pieces*. Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until tender yet firm (al dente). Set a large, heavy-based pot over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and garlic and auté until translucent and fragrant. Add tomatoes and basil; season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, then fold in cream and continue to simmer until rich and creamy. Add sausage, blanched peas, pasta and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Fold together and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Serve topped with a shower of cheese and garnish with basil. 

*I cut my cooked sausage pieces into small bite sized pieces. 
**I added about 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes to add spice. I like a little heat in my pasta :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment