Sunday, June 15, 2014

Authentic Korean Kalbi

If someone were to ask me what my favorite Korean food is, it would definitely be Kalbi. I grew up eating a ton of this glorious meat dish as a child and I still have cravings for it when summer rolls around. Thankfully, Dr. Sweetpea is also a huge fan of this dish so I recreated my favorite childhood meal using my mom's recipe. That said, keep in mind this recipe makes a TON of Kalbi so feel free to halve the recipe too.


Korean Kalbi
(Source: My Mom)

10 pounds of beef short ribs
3/4 cup sugar (My mom usually uses 1/2 a cup)
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Mirin (rice wine)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup water
Black pepper
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/6 kiwi, chopped (very little needed since this tenderizes the meat )
1/2 a medium sized onion, sliced

Mix the sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, water black pepper, chopped garlic, kiwi, and sliced onion in a large bowl. Set aside. Slice the short ribs into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices. Mix the soy sauce mixture with the short ribs and let it marinate for 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. After the meat has marinated for a while, grill the meat until it's nice and brown on both sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment