Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chewy Granola Bar

While I was growing up, one of my least favorite food to eat was oatmeal/oats. I didn't like the grainy texture if it was in cereal form or the soup like texture if it was the instant oatmeal packs.  As I got older (late teens early 20's) I realized I need a nutritious snack while I'm on the go rather than grabbing a bag of chips or cookies. I think it was also because the dining center in my dorm usually served junk food with very minimal nutritional value (Burger and Fries? Pizza? Pasta? Tacos and Nachos?  Yes Please!). 

I usually bought Nature Valley or Special K granola bars from Costco when I came home for the weekend and hauled it back down to ISU. It usually lasted a month because I always put 3 granola bars in my backpack in the morning before heading to class. 

So why am I bringing up granola bars? Because I'm still always on the go except now I'm a working professional and I always grab a granola bar for my morning commute to work. During the last 2 years I've tried every granola bar available at jewel and meijer (minus the protein bars) so I thought it was time for me to make my own. 

I did a lot of googling (my internet best friend) and came across this granola bar recipe from Taste of Home. It...is...AMAZING. It's chewy, packed with oats, and has an amazing texture from the slivered almonds and rice cereal.  Move over grocery store granola bars! Suko's homemade granola bars are in town :o)






Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar  (I left this out) 
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/4 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup dried cranberries 

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the honey, vanilla and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, nuts and dried cranberries  if desired. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.

Yummy in Suko's tummy :o)






No comments:

Post a Comment