Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Pralines

I had a huge bag of pecans left over from baking Christmas cookies over the last few weeks and wanted to make something that I've never tried before. I came across this recipe for Pralines on Southern Living and gave it a try since I had all the ingredients in my cupboard and it didn't sound too hard to make. I'm so dang glad that I expanded outside of my comfort level when it comes to trying new recipes because these pralines were so tasty! Dr. Sweetpea ate several in one sitting and everyone that tried the pralines loved them!

Pecan Pralines
(Source: Southern Living)

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups pecan halves, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring sugars and milk to a boil in a Dutch oven, stirring often. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 11 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 228° (thread stage).

Stir in butter and pecans; cook, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer registers 236° (soft ball stage).

Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon 1 to 2 minutes or just until mixture begins to thicken. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto buttered wax paper or parchment paper; let stand until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment