Monday, December 4, 2017

Beef Stroganoff

While I was flipping through the latest Cooks Country magazine, I realized they had a beef stroganoff recipe using ground beef. This immediately brought me back to my days in college where I made the Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff in my apartment regularly since it was filling, easy, and cheap. Needless to say, I wasn't a very healthy eater when I was in college since I hate a TON of processed food. I graduated with my undergraduate degree in 2009 so it's been several years since I stopped eating eating processed foods and making everything from scratch at home.  Anyway, when I started making this recipe, not only did it smell amazing but it came together incredibly fast. Another perk? It's absolutely delicious with no preservative laden ingredients!!! It's definitely a keeper for easy week night meals for us.


Beef Stroganoff 
(Source: Cooks Country)

2              tablespoons vegetable oil
8              ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
Salt and pepper
1              onion, chopped fine
2              garlic cloves, minced
1              pound 85 percent lean ground beef
3              tablespoons all-purpose flour
4              cups chicken broth
1/4           cup dry white wine
8              ounces (4 cups) egg noodles
1/2           cup sour cream, plus extra for serving
2              tablespoons minced fresh chives

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes; transfer to bowl.

Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to now-empty pot and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add beef, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up meat with spoon, until no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes.

Add flour and stir until beef is well coated; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in noodles, reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until noodles are tender, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Off heat, stir in sour cream and mushrooms until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to shallow platter and sprinkle with chives. Serve, passing extra sour cream separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment