Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Crack Cookies

My favorite season is here!!! My favorite season is here!!! What season is that?! It's Christmas Cookie baking season :o) 

I absolutely loooove dusting off my favorite cookie cookbooks to find new and interesting recipes to try each year. As much as I love trying new recipes, I also love making tried and true recipes every year too. I grew up eating these toffee bars made with saltines. These are super quick to make and very addicting...which is why I made these first to start off the holiday baking season.


Christmas Crack Saltines
(Source: Tampa Bay Times)

40 saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 (12-ounce) package chocolate chips
Chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with foil and coat lightly with a non-stick spray. Place saltine crackers in single layer on foil. On stove, melt butter and brown sugar. Bring to full boil and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove and pour over crackers. Bake for 5 minutes (the brown sugar mixture will be very bubbly. It very important that this is baked for the entire 5 minutes or it won't harden properly). Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Leave until melted, about 3 minutes. Spread out the chocolate and sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. This will make up to 40 or more pieces, depending on how small or big you break them.

No comments:

Post a Comment